Tuesday 30 May 2006

Handbags at 7

Things aren't what they used to be, are they. All Blacks in pub brawl. Former All Black captain swings handbag. New All Black cries. All Blacks offer public apology.

A public apology? What for? One damaged phone is being replaced. Everybody involved has already been apologised to. I think perhaps they should apologise for being unable to produce the headlines they used to. They should apologise to Keith Murdoch. They should apologise for crying in public. (And I can say that, because Chris and Tana can't find me. I hope.)

So what exactly happened? Says the Hurricanes CEO, "Numerous reports are now in circulation which have provided various accounts about the incident." I'll bet there are. The Herald reports: "The incidents occurred in The Jolly Poacher tavern between 6.30am and 8am on Sunday, witnesses told the Herald." Now, given that the incidents would have taken less than thirty seconds, and the 'time period' for those incidents as given by witnesses still in the bar as the sun came up was an hour-and-a-half, you can only wonder how reliable those witnesses are.

I have to say, however, that having previously been in The Jolly Poacher myself
between 6.30am and 8am on a Sunday, I can highly recommend it for an all-nighter. I can also confirm that the bouncers there are exceptional. I never had a chance. But I swear I would have made a perfect witness.

LINKS: Players say sorry over handbag incident - NZ Herald
All Blacks blue ... with a handbag -
Rugby Heaven

TAGS: Sport, Humour

No comments: