Monday 8 May 2006

Hidden meaning

Saw French arthouse thriller Hidden (a.k.a. Caché) last night at the Rialto, and apparently I'm amongst the two-thirds of people who've seen it and who "completely missed the crucial piece of visual information" in the last scene -- and the many more who did see it but like me still don't have a clue what it means. See discussion here, for example, and here. (Warning, contains spoilers.)

Call me stupid, but I still don't know whodunnit and why. But I sure want to. If anyone can just slip me the answer, I'd be most grateful.
.
LINKS: Update: Caché's meaning - Left Behinds
Caché - Wikipedia
Official Caché website - Sony Classics
.
TAGS: Films

2 comments:

Peter Cresswell said...

Yep, I think that's the only thing that makes sense, which is a little disappointing -- too much like a deus ex machina for mine.

But I'm still not sure how that last scene fits in then?

Solomon Grundy said...

Agreed about the last scene. If it weren't for that, I'd buy the idea that Haneke took a non-realist approach. But why include such an intriguing final detail unless the internal logic of the film includes a solution to the whodunit?

(p.s., thanks for linking to our discussion)