Monday 18 September 2006

Last thoughts on '9/11 week'

Last week was a time for commemorating 9/11 five years on. Speaking for myself, which is what I always do, I was struck by how many of the commemorations and thought-pieces dwelt on the tragedy as if it were some kind of natural disaster, rather than the organised destruction that it was.

9/11 was no natural disaster. It was a fully man-made event, at once a mass-murder and a declaration of war. To ignore that is not only a gross injustice to the memory of the innocents who died on that day and in subsequent man-made horrors, but it ignores the very real threat that the continued existence of the planners of those mass-murders represents.

RELATED: War, Politics-World

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The failure to roll up Osama and his co-conspirators may also have led to this feeling of ‘natural’ disaster. I see this as a key failing in campaign against terror. No effort should have been spared to find and eliminate the leadership of the enemy. I understand that there have been no important leads as to their whereabouts in the past two years. This is extraordinarily incompetent on someone’s part somewhere. If I were President I would make sure some heads rolled in the CIA. The public need a regular string of victories to keep them from falling into despair or ennui. Remember the joy at getting Z-man in Iraq?
Victory at any cost I say even if you have to manufacture the odd one to keep the momentum going.