Thursday 10 July 2008

Queen of the Night

Schinkel_Friedrich_The_Queen_Of_The_Night

Funny. I spent an evening with a friend from the Opera Factory not long ago comparing performances of the Queen of the Night from Mozart's 'Magic Flute,' his very best opera, and then what do you know: these recent performances posted at YouTube showed up in my inbox this morning from a list that I frequent. Now, I haven't yet had a chance to compare them, so if you'd like to let me know which ones you rate, I'd be grateful.

Diana Damrau
Acte I. www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EUOmdxo2jE www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysCvFTE9O8Y
Acte II. www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZG90IhvGZk www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvuKxL4LOqc

Nathalie Dessay:
Aix-en-Provence, 1996:
Acte I. www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvRPekFqJg
Acte II. www.youtube.com/watch?v=02yf6RHIQjQ

Paris, 2006:
Act(e) I: www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ODbDKmSEc
Act(e) II: www.youtube.com/watch?v=02yf6RHIQjQ

Edita Gruberova:
Acte II. www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HXHTHgNfnw

Pour cet extrait, le volume de vos haut-parleurs devrait être réglé un peu plus fort.

Elena Mosuc:
Acte I. www.youtube.com/watch?v=gri31wll8aU
Acte II. www.youtube.com/watch?v=bofe64-dG0A

The image, by the way, is the Queen of the Night, by Carl Friedrich Schinkel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Magic Flute

I listen to that CD most of the time.