Further to my post this morning about the travails of Christchurch business owners in getting their hands on the property in their businesses, protest leader Kurt Langer has sent this email/open letter out. [HINT: Why not copy and paste it into an email, and send it around to every one you know!]
Please forward this email/letter on to all that you know who can help us make this happen!
The people of Christchurch who own businesses and buildings within the Central area of Christchurch have the following concerns.
1. We have lost faith in the competence and willingness of the Civil Defence and the Earthquake Authorities to be effective caretakers of our property.
- Civil Defence is not adequately protecting property in the central city from looters.
- Civil Defence is demolishing buildings and businesses without consultation and against the declared interests of their owners.
- Civil Defence is destroying property without any due diligence or care about the value of what they are destroying.
- Civil Defence does not even care to consult with owners of property in any meaningful capacity.
- By any meaningful standard, the actions of Civil Defence are far more destructive to Christchurch businesses and business owners than the petty pilfering of looters.
2. We have lost faith in the ability of Civil Defence and the Earthquake Authorities to bring about meaningful recovery in the Christchurch central district.
- If recovery has any meaning at all, it is the recovery of Christchurch businesses.
- The "recovery" to date has been micro-managed, alienating the very individuals whose recovery is essential to restart business in Christchurch.
- There has been no interest in working with the very people of Christchurch whose business it is to run business, rather keeping the attempted recovery within the hands of too few individuals.
- Four weeks after the quake, and very little has been achieved beyond the original rescue effort. No surprise when the people who run Christchurch's businesses are excluded rather than embraced.
3. We call upon the New Zealand Government to:
- End the State of Emergency on Friday. With rescue and immediate recovery complete, responsibility, risk and stewardship for property should revert to its owners.
- Immediately reinstate personal property rights, guaranteeing property owners the final say in the determination of their property.
We say: “Tear down this State of Emergency and let Christchurch businesses begin the job of getting back on their feet.